--- CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2 FREE TO BE FACILITATOR POSITIONS ---
We are expanding our friendly team and are looking for volunteer leaders in the community to help teach a positive body image program to youth. If you have ever thought, “I can imagine how hard it must be to grow up surrounded by social media” or “I wish someone had told me that when I was younger?” or “I would love to help the next generation become more confident” then this position may be right for you!
Free To Be is looking for friendly, engaging, empathetic and committed people to facilitate our research-based positive body image program. In addition to positively impacting youth, this is an excellent opportunity to gain research experience, leadership and teaching skills, and stand out on applications such as social work, education, counselling, and medicine (and we are happy to provide strong references!)
- Lead classroom groups of boys and girls (grade 6-8 primarily) through our research-based positive body image curriculum **See Section: The Important Process
- Attend meetings and training sessions to become well-versed in the Free To Be curriculum
- Collect surveys from students to assist in program development
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to monitor sensitive group dynamics
- Comfort in leading youth
- Knowledge of group dynamics (asset but not required)
- Bachelors degree in Psychology/Social Work/Education or other helping profession (Working on completing, or completed Bachelor's degree or higher is an asset but not required)
- 6 months (You can definitely take vacations and time off!)
- Monday to Friday, flexible hours. Will have to coordinate with schools' schedules to determine when programs can be run. *see section below.
**The Important Process (the nuts and bolts of how we facilitate the program in schools):
FTB facilitators go into schools for 6, 1 hour sessions (often 2x a week for 3 weeks, or 1x a week for 6 weeks) and teach FTB to students during regular class time (the teacher is always present while we are in the class).
Currently, we have had a lot of interest from schools in Vancouver (Downtown - North Van), Burnaby and Langley and so we are looking for facilitators who are able to facilitate in these areas.
We ask for your availability up-front (days of the week & time range) so when a school contacts us, we can let the school know what availability we can offer the school.
After we have confirmed your availability with a school we sort out the logistics of the program (# of students, # of classrooms, classroom location, school contact etc.) We want you to be equipped with as much information as possible before running the program in a school.
We stay connected the entire time through phone conversations and email check in's to support our team members.
We ask for a commitment of running FTB to completion, with two classrooms, and after we explore the possibility of running it in other schools.
The feedback from the students and teachers is overwhelmingly positive as student's consistently tell us how the program has opened their eyes, given them helpful knowledge, equipped them with a deeper understanding of important topics, and that they would highly recommend the program to others.